Chapter 19

After that, the little prince climbed a high mountain. The only mountains he had ever known were the three volcanoes, which came up to his knees. And he used the extinct volcano as a
footstool tabouret
banqueta
. "From a mountain as high as this one," he said to himself, "I shall be able to see the whole planet at one glance, and all the people…"


But he saw nothing,
save sauf
salvo
peaks of rock that were sharpened like
needles aiguilles
agujas
. "Good morning," he said courteously. "Good morning--Good morning--Good morning," answered the echo. "Who are you?" said the little prince.

"Who are you--Who are you--Who are you?" answered the echo. "Be my friends. I am all alone," he said. "I am all alone--all alone--all alone," answered the echo.

"What a
queer bizarre
extraño
planet!" he thought. "It is altogether dry, and altogether pointed, and altogether
harsh and forbidding rude, hostile et menaçant
hostil e intimidante
. And the people have no imagination. They repeat whatever one says to them… On my planet I had a flower; she always was the first to speak…"

chapter 18           en anglais           chapter 20

Commentaires